Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday, Monday

I love Mondays.  Weird, huh?  Not really - it's the beginning of a new week and back to routine.  Did I mention I like my routine?  Today was a pretty typical Monday - kids to school; feed horses, cat, turkeys, crows and clean stalls.  Then the fun begins!  On Mondays, 10 kids from one of Salinas High's Special Ed class come out to play with horses.  And every Monday they amaze me with what they are able to accomplish and what they are able to learn and retain.  Last week we begin learning body parts - all the basics (ears, eyes, nose, neck, shoulder).  I introduced the poll.  Today when I pointed to that spot between the ears, they remembered it was the poll!  So cool.  Todays word: withers.  And I GUARANTEE next week when I point to that spot, one or more will know what it is. It's always been my belief that we should NOT limit anybody who comes to The Buckeye Ranch.  And every Monday that belief is validated.  Most of the students can now put a halter on and they have ALL led the horses through the obstacle courses - wheelchairs included! That's why I like Mondays.

The students also got to learn what a farrier does:

 
 
God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment